Sunday, July 30, 2006

Hot damn!

Good week, or at least the end of the week was good.

I not only made deadline tonight getting the newspaper out the door, I beat the deadline! By a solid 35 minutes! Yessir, bit of a natural high there. I just gotta figure out how I did it.

Granted, I started out with not having anything more than a reasonably brief up and down story to write and polished that easily inside an hour, then there were really only a few briefs, press releases and obituaries to write up, and somehow the pages themselves just sorta shot through without too much trouble.

It's almost got me a little concerned that there was some inherent mistake in the newspaper tomorrow, hopefully nothing particularly libelous. It almost seems like the way it came together would seem to dictate some elusive error is gonna get published 4,500 times. But then perhaps I'm wrong and it's all gonna work out just fine.

I mean granted, I have been trying to build up these skills since I got here and that's also got something to do with making deadline, I also didn't have to go cover anything (curse you, county fair!) in the midst of my busiest hours. Nor did I really have to write very much. Either way, it's gotta build up some encouragement for next week. After all, I might just be capable of doing this job.

It's not how I felt at the beginning of the week, I missed quite a few deadlines then. Dunno, certainly feels a lot better having met that objective, hoping to meet it again next week.

I also had my first session with my GED student Thursday. It went well, I hope I'm not coming across as over anxious or simply nervous or outright unfamiliar with the class material because she is very nervous about all this and I don't want to turn anyone away, particularly when it's taken this long (her last year of high school, 10th grade, was in 1969) to finish up her diploma.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]