Monday, October 10, 2005

My Sixth Sense (for the fourth estate)

Hm, I'm not sure how to start this, lots has happened I guess. But I'm really now sure if it's rehashing all of it here. My life is fairly open, I don't have many thoughts I don't express to someone or another. If that was you, thanks, and I hope you'll still talk to me after hearing that rant.

So three (or some) weeks ago I was driving on a county road south of town and the right front wheel slipped a little off the edge of the road. Because the road slipped off into a 2-foot ditch (shoulder? ha!) my car just got sucked down in and after a lot of very frightening bumping around I had about six feet of the electric fence on the other side of the ditch stuck in and around my poor automobile. It's now got a mean tattoo of criss-crossing white scratches from the endeavor.

The guy whose fence I chewed up owns one of the oldest and most frequented restaurants in the area, the Blue Top Restaurant. I just knew at the time that I was going to do a real big piece for the newspaper and a lot of it was going to center around this man whose fence I just beat up. I mean karma, or a sixth sense, whatever. I knew something big was going to happen involving this guy.

Early this morning there was a fire at the Blue Top Restaurant because of an electrical malfunction with the dryer. I saw it, or something just as significant, coming three weeks in advance. I'm just that good. There are lots of times when I'm not sure whether this is what I'm meant to do. I mean, after all, I'm not amazing at this job. I'm slower than I should be and I still need to ask better questions. I've had some lucky breaks, but over all, I just don't know. I get by through the people who support me and frequently have a higher opinion of me than I do myself. God I hope they don't lose that idealism.

It's still fun to hear some of these stories, to be on the front line in many cases. To afflict the comfortable and comfort the afflicted. To boldly walk up to someone's door and asking if they'd be so kind to be quoted in the newspaper. Or to call someone and definitely not expect them to call me back, but call them anyway, what the heck?

To tell the rest of the story, the Blue Top wasn't completely destroyed. The man with the fence told me it will be rebuilt within the next four or five months. He's got to figure it out, he told me, but he had unbelievable loyalty with his customers. I can't imagine him being in trouble in five months.

For me I've still got to figure out how to do this job. I've already had to tell myself I can do the job, if I can't at least state that I've lost the game. Like so many things I live on the hope that surely it has to work out. So it goes.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]