Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Mom, Dad, I no longer have reason to live...

...on your couch. I'm gainfully employed! Beginning Sept. 6 I will be the Joplin Globe's (circ. around 30,000) new Barton County reporter (SW Missouri, 4th county north from the Mo./Ark. line and bordering Kansas, pop. 13,070). This has put a number of fears to rest. Now I have to get myself into the mindset of accepting and absolutely dominating this challenge. I didn't have it here, I'm hoping with enough soul searching, positive mantra reciting and layover time (2 weeks between Toledo ends and Joplin begins, I'll be in Missouri probably in St.L or visiting in CoMo).

In the meanwhile I have a week and a half here to devastate local school cafeterias by making public records all that more public by publishing them in the newspaper with quotes, stories, and active verbs. Fear my active verbs. And whatever assignments they throw at me in the short remainder of my Toledo term, they are, after all, paying me. One would assume it would be for some sort of service as they define it.

In the meanwhile I'll be writing, re-writing and reporting on obituaries on night shifts, at least this week. I've been working nights all week, which is a little weird. I still live with 2 other people (4th roomate/Blade intern moved out Saturday), but I only see them at work. Whenever I get home they're in bed. And when I wake up (at the crack of, oh, noon) they've been gone two hours.

It's so strange not to be going back to school. Every year for as far back as I can honestly remember has whittled down to school beginning in August/September. Now it's to a job which I intend on keepign for at least a couple years. Working straight January to December. Everybody does it, but it still feels so strange, it's still new to me. So far all in all it's not particularly hard, those of you running victory laps for comfort in the face of the "real world," and not to criticize, many of you are brighter than I.

Comments:
Exciting! Congrats :)
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]