Monday, August 08, 2005

The man behind the curtain

I figured I'd plug this in before settling down to bed with a book. I'm a fantastic procrastinator and lately the subject of interest has been looking for a job. I've sort of been resting on my laurels (and not comfortably, naturally i'll be unsure until i hear a definitive answer) since the interview with Joplin last weekend.

I'm looking at two jobs, both in business reporting (hey, i can do business reporting, right? or at least fake it far enough to get the job where i can learn it?). One's in St. Joe (feeling the Missouri connection, and i've talked to this editor at every opportunity in the last four years) and the other's in Killeen, Texas (it is, after all, my mothership) just west of Temple. The sad thing is these jobs require cover letters. And when you're not completely convinced you can do the job your pitching yourself for and, admitedly, just plain lazy, cover letters are long, involved projects. With luck I'll finish them early enough tomorrow to maybe make it to Kinko's and (hope against hope) a post office.

In the meanwhile I managed to put this work off a little longer today by rolling down to Ada and delivering Lauren's folks' "thank you" gift of an ice-cream maker. Because they're such nice people and because (i believe) they know how much I love eating (and i do) they invited me to stay for dinner and gave me some to bring home with me. I love surrogate parents.

I also love my real parents and siblings. I hope to get to see dad when he rolls into Detroit for business meetings next week. It is, oddly enough, only a week before I go back home myself, but it will be good to see family.

The Ada visits, the Cleveland/Akron trip and the Chicago weekend and, even better, seeing my grandparents have really kept me going this summer. It still seems so unusual to be at my grandparents' home in Marshfield, Mo. looking at a picture of me being held up as an infant by my great-grandfather in the midst of the biggest internship I've ever taken on.

And with that it's book time. G'night, friends.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]